Wednesday, July 18, 2007

BOB FILNER, MAN OF THE HOUR

Win or lose, Filipino World War II veterans owe a lot to Congressman Bob Filner, one of two representatives of San Diego, California. He practically railroaded the Filipino veterans equity bill in last Tuesday's mark-up session -- demolishing the strident Republican opposition.

It was the most spirited committee meeting I have ever covered on Capitol Hill. I have to admit even I was stunned by the turn of events, and the way Filner steamrolled over Republican attempts to scuttle the bill. But I guess the opposition had it coming.

A thinly veiled amendment proposed by senior Republican member Steve Buyer of Indiana called for scrapping Section 3 -- the very heart of the equity bill that will provide pensions to about 18,000 remaining Filipino veterans of WW-2 in the US and Philippines. I thought the Buyer amendment demonstrated the GOP's contempt for our veterans. Very sad.

I could almost hear Digs Dilangalen shouting over the din of the Batasan's plenary hall, "Mr Chairman! Mr. Chairman!". As Filner forced a vote on the equity bill, Buyer adamantly demanded that their proposed amendments be tackled first -- and like Digs, his imperious calls fell on deaf ears. Filner knew he had the numbers, but he needed to force the vote and I thought it took great courage and commitment for him to do exactly that. Damn the torpedoes!

But like a pugilist after a particularly hard fight, I'm sure his political muscle must ache badly the morning after. Buyer had flatly threatened, "there will be consequences" and there was talk right after the vote, of Republicans hauling Filner to the House ethics committee.

But I'm more concerned that with both the House and Senate ready to vote on the equity bill, that incident at the House veterans affairs committee might galvanize voting along partisan lines. Pinoy lobbyists had wanted the bill to be a bipartisan product, but that appears elusive now. What started off as a "moral issue" has become a "political issue" that demands US lawmakers lock horns rather than vote on collective conscience.

I'm afraid Republicans, specially those who might see merit in helping our aging veterans, will vote against it because of party dictates. The House vote could come as early as next month. The Senate though is more preoccupied with Iraq. Abangan!

I'm still a miron-in-training of local politics here. I'm not sure if Filner's bravado on behalf of our veterans will give him the points he needs when he runs for re-election next year. The 51st district of California which he represents, includes Chula Vista and National City.

First time I saw National City, I thought I was back in the Philippines. There's a Chow King outlet (I miss my fave combination -- beef brisket rice, siomai and kangkong with bagoong), Jollibee and a statue of Rizal in front of a Chinese-run restaurant. Filipinos are second only to the Mexicans in numbers (partly because San Diego borders Mexico).

All politics are local, everyone says. I hope Filner gets his due reward. He's already proven he's ready to risk it all for Pinoy veterans. We'll always need someone like him in Congress and worse, I'd sure hate to see him on the "wrong side" of the political fence.

No comments: